Our favourite 40 albums of 2017
These are the albums we've most loved in 2017 in a vague order. Your favourites not there? It's probably because we didn't listen to them. Let us know what you've been listening to.
40. Phantogram - Three
Thumps along nicely with catchy melodies and aggressive beats.
39. Danish String Quartet - Last Leaf
Gorgeous Scandi-folk. Time travelling music, like finding a magic key to ye old times.
38. Dan Deacon - Rat Film (Original Score)
Partially written by rats. 4 rlz.
37. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
“A riot is the language of the unheard.”
36. The Gentle Good - Ruins/Adfeilion
A national treasure returns with a curlew heavy beautiful album, drenched in place and locality.
35. Julie Byrne Not Even Happiness
Sophisticated and swath. Soothing like Savlon.
34. Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference
Guess this is an EP but the last album was massive so gets a pass.
33. Fleet Foxes - Crack-up
Still great, even if it's not quite their best from start to finish.
32. Jay Som - Everybody Works
Californian warmth. Lush and melodic.
31. Timber Timbre - Sincerely, Future Pollution
Adding a more 80s synth sound to their dark song writing. Grifting is a particular Pink Floyd-style highlight.